Happy Monday everyone 🙂
Tomorrow is my birthday, so I am beginning the celebration with a cherished tradition–reading through Psalm 139. I think it is the perfect birthday passage! I also spend time in prayer with God, walking through the past year of my life. We talk about the challenges and the valleys. We also celebrate the blessings. Every year is different, and I eagerly welcome the new year to come. 🙂
My new friend, Dawn Whitmore, is one of this years blessings. She is a joy to know for she encourages me in my role as a young mother. (She has been one herself and survived) So, in keeping with the “getting older” theme here at One Degree this week, Dawn has written the following post about her recent “change” and the blessings God has given to her.
Let’s join Dawn and celebrate the blessings God has given us.
When Tracy, innocently, asked me to guest post for her blog and described her blog’s focus as “Find Freedom. Embrace Change. Behold Glory,” little did she know what she would be getting herself and her dear readers into…lol
My life has been a constant state of change for the last year. The change consists of moving to a new state, a hysterectomy in May (on my birthday), and entering into menopause (the side effect of the hysterectomy). Just spend a minute or two with my Sweetie and he will tell you about embracing “the change.” 🙂
Yet, even after all this change in my life, I can still tell you that I don’t embrace change and I don’t go looking for it.
My mornings don’t start with me saying: “Hi God! What changes are on the agenda today?”
If that is how you start your day, then “Yay for you.” There is only a hint of sarcasm in my reply…possibly more, if I haven’t had my coffee yet. 🙂
Now for the truth and heart of the matter. Even though I don’t like change, this past year has been one of blessings and God’s glory being revealed.
“That’s why we can be so sure that every detail in our lives of love for God is worked into something good.”
~Romans 8:28 The Message
Here is a small sampling of the blessings God gave through this “year of change”:
- My relationship with my Sweetie is stronger and closer than it has been for years. Even through my “hot flashes” and “mood swings”.
- A ‘secret’ fear of cancer was removed with all my female parts in May. Female cancer runs in my family. Therefore, the subtle fear whenever female issues arose was ever present.
- My WIP (Work-in-progress) only needs two more chapters before the first draft is complete.
- A focus and perspective for God’s ministry, which I am merely a willing, be it “moody and hot flashing” menopausal vessel: Connecting with Christ and one another in a Communication-Saturated World.
- I live closer to my Mom and Dad. This enables me to be here for them when they need us and even when they don’t.
- Freedom from the constant “doing for Christ” instead of “being in Christ.”
- The freedom to see God through the lens of a camera more often than before.
These are only a few of the blessings that God gave me through change. I leave you with this wonderful definition of blessing:
A blessing is ANYTHING that brings you closer to God.
What blessings in your life have brought you closer to God?
About the Author:
Dawn Whitmore has a heart for Independent Artists, Women and Young Adults. She regularly blogs at DAWN’S DIALOGUE, the place where she honestly connects with others in a communication saturated world. She lives in VA with her “Sweetie” and college-aged daughter. You can check out her blog at www.dawnwhitmorespeaks.org.